A SPANISH cheese has been named the third best in the world at The World Cheese Awards 2019.
The Torta del Casar DOP Virgen del Prado, made by Queseria Dona Francisca, beat out more than 3,800 other cheeses from 40 countries to make it to the podium.
That includes Britain’s Pitchfork Cheddar (Trethowan’s Dairy), which just missed out, coming in fourth place.
More than 250 judges gorged on the competition at the annual event, this year held in Bergamo, Italy.
And for the first time in the competition’s history, first place went to an American product, Organic Blue Cheese Rogue River Blue, by Rogue Creamery.
Second spot went went to Italy’s Nazionale del Parmigiano Reggiano Latteria Sociale Santo Stefano, by Consorzio Conva (good luck ordering that one on your next hols).
While it did not crack into the top three, the UK had the most entries make the top 16, with four cheeses leaving a mark on the judges.
See the full ranking below:
1. Organic Blue Cheese Rogue River Blue (Rogue Creamery, United States).
2. National Parmigiano Reggiano Latteria Sociale Santo Stefano (Consorzio Conva – Parmigiano Reggiano Nazionale, Italy).
3. Torta del Casar PDO Virgen del Prado (Quesería Doña Francisca, Spain).
4. Pitchfork Cheddar (Trethowan’s Dairy, Great Britain).
5. Gruyère AOP Premier Cru (Cremo – von Mühlenen, Switzerland).
6. Quintano (Lavialattea, Italy).
7. Gallus (Walo von Mühlenen, Switzerland).
8. Le Gruyère AOP (Emmi Schweiz, Switzerland).
9. Epoisses PDO (Laiteries H. Triballat, France)
10. Mori No Cheese (Hand Made Cheese Nasu No Mori, Japan).
11. Gorwydd Caerphilly (Trethowan’s Dairy, Great Britain).
12. Inglewhite Buffalo Cheese (Carron Lodge, Great Britain).
13. Brighton Blue (High Weald Dairy, Great Britain).
14. Frico Goat Cheese (Frieslandcampina, The Netherlands).
15. ‘Gubet’ Casale Roccolo (Casale Roccolo Azienda Agricola Biologica, Italy)
16. Organic Inanna (Don Merendón, Spain).